Monday 3 February 2014

Sewing Project

I have had some beautiful floral cotton fabric lying around for awhile now and i wanted to use it to create a skirt which would help me to develop my sewing skills. The material was very thin so i had to get some thin white material to go underneath which i measured out and pinned into place as a long rectangle.
I hemmed the the edges of both materials together along both long edges which i found quite difficult because i had to keep the material straight while i put it through the sewing machine.



I then folded the material in half with the right sides facing together and sewed them to form a seam up the back of the skirt. 


To create the casing for the elastic waistband you have to fold down about an inch of the top of the material onto the inside and sew around it leaving a small gap either side to allow the elastic to be pushed through. 



Once the elastic has been pulled through you can sew the ends together and close up the rest of the waistband.


This is what the completed skirt looks like! I am really happy with the result and hope to get some more material to make another. I have really enjoyed doing this project; it has taught me some new techniques working with a larger area of material. 




No comments: