Tuesday 11 June 2013

Monoprinting

Over the weekend I have done a series of monoprints for my chesterfield projects, mostly based around two photos in particular that I have taken of chesterfield; one of the church windows and the other of a building in the shambles. I chose these two because they have strong, clean lines which would make it easier to use for monoprinting.
I set up my printing area, using a sheet of acetate as my plate and rolling out a black water based ink onto it. I found it quite hard to get the thickness of the ink correct and so some of my images have appeared to be soaked in ink and don't show a clear image. However, after trial and error, I managed to the get the correct consistency and placed a sheet of paper onto the ink to remove any excess before printing.
I used brown paper and card to create my monoprints and a pencil to draw the design onto the paper. I also used the end of a paint brush to rub onto the paper in order to show the dark areas rather than simply the outline.
I am pleased with most of my mono prints, however, some didn't work as well because too much ink was applied which distorted the images slightly. I want to use these monoprints in my project as part of a collage or painted piece. 





No comments: